Sundance Film Festival's Top 10 Lessons in Love
The movies are a great place to learn about life, including your love life. Let the characters in these ten Sundance Festival films make the big dating and mating mistakes so you don’t have to:
- Once: Sometimes the best love affairs are the ones you never have (i.e. the fantasy is often better than the reality).
- The Tao of Steve: In order to be successful with women, be desireless, be excellent, be gone.
- Garden State: Be aware that your prescription meds may be inhibiting your ability to fall in love (or at least your desire to have sex).
- In the Company of Men: Never trust a guy who says “Never trust anything that can bleed for a week and not die.” Be wary of men named Chad. And whatever you do, don’t date anyone who resembles Aaron Eckhart (see also “Towelhead”).
- (500) Days of Summer: If someone tells you they don’t want anything serious and you do, DO NOT LIE and say you are cool with that. Little lamb, this will only lead to heartbreak.
- The Science of Sleep: It’s kind of creepy to break into someone’s apartment, even if you’re just there to deposit a romantic gift. But then again, one woman’s “creepy” is another woman’s fairy tale. So when you meet The One, just be yourself.
- The Visitor: It’s never to late to learn to fall in love — or to play the bongos. But whether you’re 8 or 80, there’s no guarantee love is forever. Sniff.
- Man on Wire: Dream big. Dream really big. Because despite what we said about The Visitor, sometimes it is, actually, too late. And a bittersweet memory is better than nothing at all.
- Away from Her: If you love someone, set them free… not because you hope they’ll come back, but because you’d rather see them happy with someone else than miserable with you.
- Baghead: We can think of better ways to rekindle the flame with an ex than working on a horror movie in the middle of a dark and spooky forest. Next time, try a bottle of wine, a walk on the beach and a little nostalgic reminiscing.
Check back next week for another Sundance Film Festival Top 10 from the Naked Love Department — we’re doing one each week leading up to the festival in January!