Five Things I Took Away From: Carl Spence
1) AN AMERICAN CRIME [festival.sundance.org] – a masterfully told tale surrounding an unsavory true story that manages to weave a bit of optimism and beauty into its narrative arch.
2) Intimate dinners with friends and colleagues – at Grappa, Zoom, a Thai place and especially at an amazing condo with our own chef and winemaker from Washington State.
3) Getting told I’m late to attend a screening by every volunteer at the Racquet Club from the tent to the front door of the theatre after I get off my 45minute bus ride from the Marriott Headquarters (I arrived at 8:25 for an 8:30 screening).
4) Best little lie overheard to save a seat for a later-comer: “He has diarrhea and is in the bathroom.” That seemed to do the trick!
5) Most enjoyable film of the festival (that I saw): SON OF RAMBOW [festival.sundance.org] – refreshingly funny and sweet with just the right amount of nostalgia
Senior Editor, Filmmaker Magazine