Best videos of the week, starring the Higgs boson
Am I the only one who thinks that this week has been so much more awesome since the discovery of the Higgs boson was announced on Wednesday morning? Most of the jargon and explanations are waaaay above my high school AP Physics edumacation, but as scientists and smartypants people peel back another layer of this crazy universe we live in, paradoxically it seems that the world has become just a little more magical. I love it! I was hoping they’d also found a tiny magic school bus in their research, but alas. Between the Higgs boson news and Independence Day, this week has been pretty fantastic. July 4th of course means good eating, including delicious watermelon, which also happens to be the video that kicks off this week’s best trending videos that went viral.
5. This segment from a Korean variety show is a few years old but received renewed attention thanks to Reddit. It attempts to answer the question of how many rubber bands wrapped around a watermelon are necessary before it splits. The answer? Well, comment with your guess and then watch the clip!
4. When asked about the discovery of the Higgs boson particle, Professor Stephen Hawking remarked in this interview how the discovery of this subatomic particle cost him. His impish grin at the end of the video is amazing. This is a terrific video that animates and explains the Higgs boson as well as its significance and importance for the 99.999% of us who don’t understand this level of science.
3. This video is pretty straightforward: Bulldogs playing tetherball, which was the best game for establishing supremacy on the playground.
2. Instead of being stuck between a rock and a hard place, this ice climbing dude is stuck between some shaky looking ice and um, death. Fast forward to the 1:58 mark for the HOLY $#!% moment.
1. At Wimbledon, a fan yells out advice to Viktor Troicki on his serve in his match against star Novak Djokovic. Troicki serves using the fan’s advice and the result becomes a great tennis moment for this tournament. Relatedly, a tired Boris Becker jokingly hands his racket over to a ball girl during an old match against Agassi. Also a great tennis moment.