Reasonably dressed ladies on television
There’s lots of things I could blame Carrie Bradshaw for. My inability to let go of my cheating ex-boyfriend, my insatiable desire to make sex puns constantly, surely you get the idea. However, the main problem I have with her is the clothes. I don’t mean this in the ‘she’s made me want to buy ugly expensive clothing’ way. I’m referring to the fact that ever since Sex and The City began airing, female television characters have started dressing… like couture clowns. More designer. More stilettos. We’ve gone from cute/hip/available at the mall Rachel Green to Christian Dior hailing GCB. Today, I celebrate the anti-Carries and the anti-Blair Waldorfs. I’m looking for the girls who look like they shop at Filene’s Basement. The kinds of ladies who can find an awesome piece at a good price. Here, I present the most reasonably dressed female characters in television:
1. Robin Scherbatsky, How I Met Your Mother: Robin is a young, attractive, career-minded woman who lives in New York City. She’s single. She keeps going back to her exes. Sounds familiar? You bet it does. However, she wears outfits from Ann Taylor and still manages to do those things. Imagine that!
2. Sookie Stackhouse, True Blood: This girl has an unending supply of sundresses that looks like they were $19.95, tops. She has at least 3 outfits with cherries all over them. Sookie dresses the way I think I imagined ladies in their twenties dressed when I was 14–as in she’s kind of got a Lolita complex, and maybe sometimes looks like a virgin. Which she isn’t, given how much vampire sex she’s having. I always thought you’d have to look real hot when trying to snab a vampire. False! You have to have a pulse and be really gorgeous. Phew.
3. Leslie Knope, Parks and Recreation: She’s running for city council AND working as Parks Director for Pawnee, so she doesn’t have time to wake up in the morning to pile on massive amounts of ridiculous accessories and slip on some tulle. She has time to put on a cute top and a reasonable, but fitted jacket, and do her hair a little bit, just like the rest of us.
4. Dee, It’s Always Sunny In Philadelphia: When you hang out with a lot of guys and no females, you learn to dress a bit casually. When your naked father is about to pop out of a leather couch and crawl onto the ground at a company Christmas party, you say to yourself, does it really matter what I wear? Let’s just throw on a pair of jeans and call it a day.
5. Camille Grammar, The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills: Do you see what these other bitches wear? One of them wore a pair of $25,000 sunglasses to her friend’s birthday party. Adrienne Malloof wears strands of tinsel in her hair at any given time. Watching them all is like watching princess characters at a little gay boy’s fantasy princess party, and it’s weird. The fact that I’ve seen Camille Grammar in a sweater is a gosh darn miracle, and it’s why she deserves to be on this list.
Note to TV: Women like dressing like normal people sometimes. If I had $10,000 dollars to spend on clothing, you know what I’d do? I’d buy a lot of black, cashmere cardigans. Take that, Carrie! Because maybe then my ex will find me in Paris and propose to me.