"Personhood of semen" and other hilarious sex laws
Some people hear about all the ridiculous uterus-related legislation being sponsored by Republican lawmakers and they join a protest or they blog about it or they post inspiring images on their Tumblr blogs. Other people — other awesome people — are using their position as lawmakers to go one step further: they’re proposing outlandish penis-related legislation in response. For the record, we don’t think that “personhood of semen” is a good idea for an actual law, but we do think it’s an excellent (and hilarious) way to make a point. A point that really, really needs to be made right now. Mother Jones just published a round-up of some of the best tongue-in-cheek proposals, including the following:
- Delaware: By an 8 to 4 vote, the Wilmington, Delaware, city council recognized the personhood of semen because “each ‘egg person’ and each ‘sperm person’ should be deemed equal in the eyes of the government.”
- Virginia: As the state Senate debated requiring transvaginal ultrasounds for women seeking abortions, Sen. Janet Howell proposed mandating rectal exams and cardiac stress tests for men seeking erectile dysfunction meds. Her amendment failed by just two votes.
In other states, politicians suggested outlawing vasectomies (save the unborn children!), forcing men to get psych screenings before getting impotence meds, and more. We wish it hadn’t come to this but, well, it has.
- Wise Guys: Should a Woman Be Worried About Her Boyf’s Close Female Friends?
- Dear Em & Lo: My Husband Likes to Watch Me with Male Strippers
- Your Call: We Got Kinky Then She Dumped Me – Now What?