Today is World AIDS Day
Today marks “the beginning of the end of AIDS”:
- “Getting to Zero” is the theme of the UNAIDS efforts (the joint United Nations program on AIDS/HIV).
- Bono was on The Daily Show last night promoting his activist organization, One, and his fundraising one, Red.
- Add a patch to the One and Red campaigns’ 2015 Quilt, pledging to buy at least one Red gift this holiday season, and you’ll get to choose one of The Killers six consecutive Christmas songs benefiting Red for free.
- You can watch events unfold live tody on the One campaign’s YouTube channel, with guests including President Obama, Pres. Bush, Pres. Clinton, Bono, Alicia Keys…
- The UK’s WorldAIDSDay.org has a great website, which is offering a limited edition sparkly red ribbon.
- AIDS.gov has a World AIDS Day page with lots of info for this side of the pond, including info on testing and the US’s national strategy in fighting AIDS.
- The Facing AIDS initiative encourages you to add your face and message to this project to help keep awareness up.
- Here’s a personal story about AIDS on the Huffington Post from a woman who lost her brother back in 1988.
- And NPR’s Radiolab recently ran an absolutely fascinating story on the origin of AIDS – it goes back a lot farther than you think.
MORE FROM EMandLO.com: