Feminist Ryan Gosling
We never really understood the whole Ryan Gosling thing – he seemed kind of like a pompous, pretentious ac-tor with zero sense of humor. That is, until we saw him on Ellen in onesie pajamas on a stationary bike. Boy, were we schooled then. Now we’re on board – well, we’re not on board the crazy train of Gosling fandom, but we’re at the station admiring from afar. For example, we’re not so gaga for Gosling that we could tell you exactly where the whole “Hey Girl” meme came from. (According to Jezebel: “Apparently, the basic concept behind the hilarious blog, Fuck Yeah! Ryan Gosling, is: What if you and Ryan were involved, and he said “Hey Girl” a lot?”)
We’re also not so gaga for Gosling that we’d spend more than five minutes on Fuck Yeah! Ryan Gosling, which features dreamy shots of the actor paired with romantic imaginary quotes like “Hey girl, an apple a day won’t keep me away.” But we did enjoy seeing him get the giggles reading a few of these ridiculous quotes during not one, but two MTV interviews (the second one is better).
And the new spin off/parody/homage site Feminst Ryan Gosling? Now that’s something we could get into: dreamy shots of the actor paired with dense quotes about feminist theory, like this one: “Hey girl, just listening to you talk about Patricia Hill Collins’ matrix of domination whereby race, gender and class ideologies permeate the social structure to such a degree that they become hegemonic and thanking my lucky stars for you.” Love! The site only went up on Friday and just yesterday its sole author had to post this:
1. I have no idea if Ryan Gosling is actually a feminist, and don’t make any assumptions here of that sort.
2. Ryan Gosling hasn’t actually said any of this.
3. This blog was created on Friday. Three days ago. It quite literally blew up overnight. For those of you lamenting the existence of it in your life, you really haven’t missed anything.
4. This blog does not accept submissions right now. It is written by one person.
5. Yes, the “hey girl” is pejorative. Have you seen the original meme? That’s the joke. That. Is. The. Joke.
Thanks, girl, for letting me bend your ear.