It's the most materialistic time of the year…
We’re as guilty as anyone else of promoting gift-giving at this time of year. (Then again, who else is going to tell you about that perfectly tasteful vibrator that will fit in a Christmas stocking?) To find a bit of inner calm amidst the gift-wrapping storm, here are five ways to give back, whether with time or money.
- Give to the National Breast Cancer Foundation: We know you tinted your Facebook profile picture pink and did a cutesy status update about where you keep your handbag, but did that really do anything to help the cause of women with breast cancer? Donate money; run a race (or jump out of a plane) so you can ask your friends to donate sponsor money; or just donate your time.
- Get Involved with Planned Parenthood: Thanks to the mid-term election results, things are looking pretty dire when it comes to reproductive rights. Help Planned Parenthood keep fighting the good fight by donating your money or time — and sign up for their newsletters so you know when they need you to write to your representatives (usually it’s as simply as cutting and pasting and clicking your mouse).
- Get on the “It Gets Better” Train: Submit your own video, send the site to someone who needs it, or just tell everyone you know — including your mail carrier — how awesome this project is. Because the more we talk about this, the better it works.
- Get Involved with GLSEN: The Gay, Lesbian and Straight Education Network recently launched the Safe Space Campaign to place a GLSEN Safe Space Kit in every middle and high school in the country — the kit is designed to “promote visible support for LGBT students in American middle and high schools…to build support for vulnerable students and reduce anti-lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) bullying and harassment in their school.” Send a kit to the school you attended or a school you care about.
- Get Involved with the National Sexuality Resource Center: Stay in the loop — and get active — on everything from sex education to gay marriage to HIV research.
- Sensual Chocolate Treats
- A Vibrator Chess Set
- Jimmyjane’s Form 3
- Sex Books for People You’re Not Sleeping With