How to promote your new hybrid car: host a global warming debate
If you’ve ever been to one of the big auto shows, you know that big announcements by the car companies often have many of the makings of a rock concert. For its promotion of the new CT 200h compact hybrid at the New York Auto Show, Lexus took a totally different approach: it hosted a debate on climate change.
The word “debate” doesn’t really give justice to the event, however: moderator Sarah Silverman proclaimed “Let’s start this motherfucker” to open the argument between environmental journalist Amanda Little and skeptic Phelim McAleer. According to event creator Inform Ventures, the audience for “The Darker Side of Green” was packed with celebs, including Maggie Gyllenhaal, Kyra Sedgwick, Kevin Bacon, Rev Run (of Run-DMC), and many others. The New York Times notes that the car itself ultimately got short shrift in all the madness…
The event was such a success that Inform and Lexus are taking it on the road: beginning tomorrow night in Los Angeles, the Darker Side of Green will hit four cities over the next few weeks with four different hosts:
- Comedian Andy Samberg will moderate the LA debate
- Jamie Kennedy will host the July 20th event in Miami
- Tracy Morgan brings the debate back to New York on July 27th
- And Mark McGrath of Sugar Ray finishes in up on August 8th in Chicago
Little and McAleer will continue to participate, along with other proponents and skeptics of climate change science. May be the best time you’ll ever have at a scientific debate.
If you attend one of these events, or were at the debut, let us know about it…
MORE FROM SUSTAINABLOG:
- The life of a rebel farmer: Trauma Farm
- Get ready for your next star-studded eco event with our green fashion selections.