If you haven’t heard of it by now, here’s the ten-second scoop: Iranian cleric blames the world’s earthquakes on women’s immodesty so Jen McCreight, a self-proclaimed “liberal, geeky, nerdy, scientific, perverted, atheist feminist trapped in Indiana” at Purdue, organizes Boobquake, a day (yesterday, April 26th, 2010) for women to wear their most immodest outfit (that they would would wear on any other given day or a night out) to scientifically (sorta) study if the cleric’s claim holds any water. Well, the media went bat-shit crazy for this, so here’s a round-up:
- Blag Hag, Jen McCreight’s blog where she started it all
- Her post on the data collected from Boobquake. Her hypothesis: immodesty actually decreases the amount of earthquakes in the world.
- Boobquake’s Facebook Event page ended up with a total of over 213,000 attendees.
- The Colbert Report on Boobquake.
- CNN, BBC, CBC, ABC, and FOX cover Boobquake.
- A Brainquake event was organized as a more thoughtful alternative (though with only 1600 confirmed attendees, it didn’t quite have the same salacious appeal).
- Boos for Boobquake from Beth Mann on her blog and on Salon’s Broadsheet.
- Local coverage of actual Boobquake event, as well as an uncut interview with McCreight.
- How to Reconceptualize Male and Female Genitalia
- Can You Ask Your Gyno for Sex Advice?
- Why Some Guys Need Their Friends’ Approval of Their Girlfriend