A Catholic Church sex scandal round-up
|The Daily Show With Jon Stewart||Mon – Thurs 11p / 10c|
During the Pope’s visit to Malta this past weekend, he visited with abuse victims, paying a lot of lip service to “healing” and “investigations.” Yeah right! He also commended Malta for keeping divorce and abortion illegal. What century is this!? So here’s a roundup of some recent abuse scandal pieces to keep you riled up:
- Last week we mentioned Dr. Lothstein, a psychologist who’s treated more than 300 priests who was interviewed for a New York Times article; more recently he was interviewed by NPR, with more revelations about pedophile priests being reinstated.
- This 2003 This American Life story, recently re-aired, profiles a priest who was a “fixer”, sent in by the Catholic Church to places rocked by sex scandals, in order to restore order via deception — he eventually flipped and worked for lawyers prosecuting abuse cases! (It’s Act 1, so you won’t have to weed through the entire episode.)
- To get a quick idea of the scope of abuse, check out the long list of recent press releases from Survivor Network of those Abused by Priests (SNAP).
- Maureen Dowd writes about the dark side of religious worlds without women (she’s talking to you Islam and Catholicism).
- Lest you be swayed by the Pope’s crocodile tears this past weekend, let Jon Stewart remind you how just a few weeks ago he called coverage of the sex scandal petty gossip. (Best joke: Domino’s showed more contrition over a shitty pizza sauce than the Church has over the fact of years of covered-up abuse!)