In sleep vs. sex battle, the winner is…mattresses, pills and PDAs
It seems like every few years, someone comes out with a study about what percentage of the population would choose a good night’s sleep over sex. The studies are usually sponsored by a mattress company, or a pharmaceutical firm developing non-addictive (riiiiight) sleeping pills, or — as in the most recent case — a chain of hotels with extremely comfortable beds. The study, funded by Westin Hotels, found that 51% of Americans surveyed would choose sleep over sex (as we mentioned here earlier this week). It sounds much less depressing if you put it the other way: 49% of us would still sacrifice sleep for a bit of raucous boot-knocking, aw yeah. But it sounds much more depressing when you learn that a decade ago, a massive 69% (heh) of those surveyed said they’d choose sex over sleep.
Who knew we were all having so much fun in the late ’90s? Or, perhaps, who knew we were so well rested? We guess a worldwide recession might have something to do with the dip — well, that, and the ubiquity of PDAs: 60% of respondents said their Blackberry — et al — hindered a good night’s sleep.
But here’s what we found most interesting about the latest research: Men were more likely than women to favor a snuggle with their pillow. So much for all those “Not tonight, honey, I have a headache” cartoons — looks like there’s a new stereotype in town.
- Are the Twin Boys Attention Starved?
- Would You Cheat If You Could Definitely Get Away with It?
- Are Pot Bellies on Dudes the Hot New Trend?
- Why Withdrawal Ain’t All That