Naked news — the super gay extravaganza edition! (06-09-09)
In honor of 1) June being LGBT Month (officially proclaimed by President Obama) and 2) Bradford Shellhammer joining our li’l SUNfiltered gang, we’ve compiled a fabulous round-up of recent gay-related news:
- In case you live under a rock: New England is officially the coolest part of the country now that New Hampshire is down with gay marriage
- Hopefully, New York will feel the heat from the nearby states to jump on the gay marriage party wagon.
- The MarriageNY.com campaign for marriage equality has some great videos (see above vid).
- An openly gay boy beats out 9 girls at his LA high school to become prom queen — and the school administration goes for it!
- Happy Feet 2: A pair of “gay” male penguins is raising an adopted penguin baby together in a German zoo.
- Dueling rallies were held in Fresno recently: The pro-gay-marriage “Meet in the Middle 4 Equality” VS. the anti-gay-marriage “Standing in the Middle of Marriage Equality” (our snarky name).
- Speaking of Prop 8, the two attorneys who fought on opposite sides of the court in the Bush vs. Gore case have joined forces to overturn the gay-marriage ban in California.
- The sex-change ban is lifted in Cuba.
- Federal immigration laws do not offer the same rights to same-sex couples — lame, but not really a surprise.
- However, Secretary of State Hillary Clinton says limits on benefits for gay diplomats will be lifted — refreshing!
- Gay synagogues are so fabulous they’re attracting breeders.
- A new gallup poll shows that 69 percent of Americans are now in favor of openly gay men and women serving in the military.
- Does this Progressive Insurance commercial feature a gay couple? Hope so!
- Dick Cheney, whose daughter is a lesbian, finally comes out of his conservative closet and says he supports gay marriage state-by-state.
- Lady Gaga likes boys for boyfriends, ladies for lust.
- Meanwhile, Kelly Clarkson may not like-like the ladies, but she appreciates the gay attention.
- Finally, get your assless chaps on and find a gay pride parade in your area this month!