Dr. George Tiller in doc "What's the Matter with Kansas?"
Salon.com has an extended scene from forthcoming documentary “What’s the Matter With Kansas?“, based on Thomas Frank’s bestselling book of the same title about the Right Wing’s rise in the once-liberal state. It features Dr. George Tiller, the Wichita-based abortion provider who was gunned down last Sunday while attending church. The clip touches on the years of threats and abuse Tiller experienced — law suits, arson, death threats, failed assassination attempts — for his commitment to providing women with safe and legal reproductive care. When Tiller speaks, he seems exhausted yet resigned to defending women’s rights against these radicals. It’s tragic.
After the jump, a round-up of interesting articles and info on Dr. Tiller and reproductive rights in the wake of his murder:
- The National Network of Abortion Funds created the George Tiller Memorial Abortion Fund on Sunday evening and received more than $15K within the first 24 hours.
- Slate explains the procedures George Tiller (and only a handful of other doctors in the United States) performed.
- A statement from Dr. Tiller’s family.
- On Feministing’s community site, an abortion provider reacts to the Dr. Tiller’s murder.
- Feministing also has a roundup of vigils for Tiller you can still attend.
- Former Planned Parenthood president, Gloria Feldt, explains why Tiller needs more than candlelight vigils.
- A photo gallery of the man charged with Tiller’s murder, and other people involved in the case.
- The excellent Reproductive Health Reality Check takes a thorough look at Dr. Tiller, late-term abortion, and issues of choice.