John Doe: Punk Rock Legend. Doe was a vocalist and bassist in the bands X and The Knitters and is a present-day soloist. As a musician, Doe writes from the heart and exposes without exploiting. As an actor, Doe prefers to be in independent films. A forefather of punk, Doe forged the way for rebellion through music. He never changed his tunes for mass consumption and stays true to the DIY spirit.
To find out more about Doe and see video of his performances and interviews visit Sundance Channel’s spotlight on John Doe and his band X [www.sundance.tv].
1. What’s your favorite political movie?
MEET JOHN DOE for Gary Cooper’s warmth, subtlety and confusion. Also Barbara Stanwyck’s ambition, drive and finally humanity. It shows us just how manipulative the process of power really is.
2. What role do you feel art plays in politics?
In some cases it leads political change. In others it’s boring, stupid and has little or no “art” in it.
3. What do you think is the biggest issue for the next generation of Americans?
Climate change and the environment.
4. Who was the first political candidate you were excited to vote for and why?
Jimmy Carter was the first president I was able to vote for and I still think he is a great man. When Ronald Regan was elected, Exene and I left the country for Mexico because we didn’t want to see the horrible spectacle.
5. What factors are important to you in choosing a president?
There will never be a candidate that is far enough left wing for me. It’s a travesty that all candidates now-a-days have to be millionaires.
6. What issues would you like to see politicians focus more on?
Conservation, Education, Corporate tax breaks, Politician’s luxury retirement and international diplomacy.
7. Which issues would you like to see politicians focus less on?
National security, Defense Dept and character assassination.
8. Which candidate’s initiatives do you feel better address environmental concerns?
At this moment the candidates have not even discussed their policies. Democrats are traditionally more favorable to the environment.
9. This is your soapbox – shout it out! What do you need to get off your chest?
NO MORE “DRIVE-THRU” WINDOWS. Conservation should be our greatest priority, simply using less!
Extra Credit: Fill in the blank. _________ for change.
THINK for a change.